Monday, July 5, 2010

One Day Till' Liftoff

I've known about this trip for quite awhile now. Yet, I'm still not sure if I'm looking forward to it. I don't think anyone would look forward to going to Albuquerque though. No offense intended, but I've been there once before and I wasn't all that impressed. Chicago- Great! New Orleans (pre-Katrina)- Great! Baltimore- Nice! D.C.- Awesome! Albuquerque- Eh. I know we have to go. We've been invited to a family ceremony, a celebration of womanhood. Plus my daughter Naibe is in the thing, they sent a dress and everything. They didn't send us an actual invitation, but they did send a dress so I assume that means we're invited. Actually now that I think about it, it could mean only Naibe is invited and we are expected to wait outside in Albuquerque proper. Anyways, I decided to start this blog because in researching things to do with the family on the way to the event I found that all 786 miles had little to offer other than the Grand Canyon, which incidentally is 60 miles out of the way. I suppose when speaking in terms of hundreds of miles, sixty isn't all that bad.

Today is being spent preparing for our journey. Usually my wife Susan is completely stressed at the amount of packing she has to do- not for her mind you, but the kids (we also have a 3 year old named Liam). During our last weekend trip I told her that I would pack for the kids and to teach me a lesson she agreed. Yes I forgot nearly everything of importance: the baby soap, baby toothpaste, baby toilet seat, baby cups. Why on earth these things aren't included in the toiletry bundle you get in Hotels is beyond me. It's as if people with kids are only allowed to vacation to Disneyland. I guess that's why we go there so much. Anyways, her ploy to make me realize her true suffering didn't work because I know they have Wal-marts and Targets at nearly every turn in every acre of this country. However, I do think I am going to allow her to resume her role as expert packer. As annoying as it can be, she does remember everything for every single situation and I love her for it. I can't wait until the car breaks down and we are forced to give Liam a bath on a moving burro in Gallup, New Mexico- Susan will have everything we need to make that happen.

Speaking of cars- my car is slowly disintegrating. Ever since driving through a sand storm on the way back from Vegas my car has really been showing it's age. Today, in preparation for the trip, I took the car to E-Z Lube to get an oil change and was convinced to use the oil for geriatric cars. You know how they make you sit in that room and call you out one by one to explain which parts of your car need flushing for additional costs? Well when I got to that part, the print out for suggested services on my car was three pages long. I find it difficult to say no to three pages of suggestions, but I managed. I am resigned to driving the X-Terra into the ground, I just hope it doesn't happen on this trip.

More tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks! I needed the giggles... not to mention how much I always enjoy how well you write... I look forward to reading more... and a word of advice... rent a car

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoy the way you write. I will also second the word of advice on renting a car. Priceline rentals are like 12-20 bucks a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the trip and with your car. Speed traps at Williams and on both sides of Gallup! Beware. Have fun! Thanks for the introduction to the world of personal blogs. Why does this make me think of Julia Child?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful trip, Justin! Speed traps in Williams and both sides of Gallup. Thanks for the intro to the world of personal blogs. Why does this make me think of Julia Child?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I guess I don't totally understand this, but I will keep trying. Be safe and have fun....

    ReplyDelete