Friday, July 9, 2010

Comfort Food


This morning I rediscovered how good food can be a truly emotional experience. Thus far, every meal on this trip has been a lesson in extreme frustration. How can something so cute and so happy be so evil while we are just trying to eat. I'm sure by now, rumors are flying across Arizona and New Mexico about the horrible parents who allow their 3 year old boy to run around restaurants holding a butter knife like a gun, scream at the top of his lungs every 15 seconds, and do absolutely nothing about it. Believe me, we do attempt to control his feral behavior, but like a feral dog he forgets what we say 10 seconds after we scold him. Yet, this morning, the breakfast we had at Sophia's Place in Albuquerque took us to a place in which misbehavior does not matter. It was a place where chili verde and huevos rancheros blocked out all screaming and we were left with a euphoric feeling that only really good Mexican food can leave you with.

This was of course, the second stop on our DDD tour. I knew we were going out with Susan's Aunt and Uncle, but I wasn't sure we were going to Sophia's. I was also a bit worried about driving halfway across town (which in Albuquerque only takes 15 min.) for a restaurant I've never been to. Although the experience at Brandy's created some unforeseen reservations about taking the DDD recommendation for the second day in a row, we decided to go ahead with the tour. Once again I expected to see a line out the door and was met with a nearly empty restaurant. As it turns out we just happened to beat the morning rush, because by the time we left the place was packed.



Sophia's Place is tiny. There are a few tables inside and a few outside. The menu is scrawled across several chalkboards and apparently changes daily depending on what's in the fridge. They don't have a freezer so everything you get is about as fresh as you can get. Although tempted to get another breakfast burrito, I went with the breakfast tacos. My wife, her Aunt and Uncle all had the huevos rancheros, while the kids split some french toast. I mentioned yesterday that simple things like two eggs and bacon can't be made special- I was wrong. The beans on my plate took me back to my college days when my roommates would sit around the table sifting through uncooked beans looking for pebbles before cooking, what was until today, the best beans I had ever eaten. The carnitas included with my wife's huevos rancheros melted in my mouth with the exact amount of heat that only someone truly gifted knows how to create. I won't go on about wanting to lick my plate, or being happy that Liam didn't finish his unbelievable french toast topped with fresh fruit, so that I could finish it, but I can tell you that I barely noticed Liam's tantrum towards the end of our meal. I can't even remember why he threw himself on the ground. All I can remember is the sense of happiness I had after a truly wonderful meal and the giddiness that surrounded me knowing that we are to return tomorrow.



I know I am writing this bit earlier than usual today. I have the time because Susan is napping and this time change, even though it's only one hour, is affecting me. I was half-asleep posting last night. Tonight will be the third stop on the DDD tour. We are heading to the Monte Carlo liquor and Steak House. It's a 30 year old Albuquerque institution that requires you to walk through a liquor store to get to the restaurant. Tomorrow will be busy with the Quinceanera, but I can't wait to go back to Sophia's. It will definitely make up for the hours of Spanish I will be listening to, and not understanding. It will also make up for the hours of cowboy ranchera dancing that I will be forced to watch. I say watch because Susan doesn't like the way I dance and doesn't even bother asking me. Looks simple enough to me, sway from side to side and move with the sardine-like circle that is created on the dance floor, all while pretending I'm a cowboy. I can do that, can't I? Well, I have to go now, Liam is doing what he calls, "making Shorty food." Shorty is our dog and I will leave the interpretation of his quote up to the reader.

4 comments:

  1. Justin you are hilarious! They do kind of look like sardines though, don't they?
    Say hi to Susan and the kids for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little angel face? I don't believe it! LMAO. Really enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shorty, ummmmmm. I will have to remember that. Once again, you have a traveloguer's gift for writing, Justin. Could you do this about your school experiences? I think you would have quite the following.

    ReplyDelete